ProGuard is a must. We will never release a version without turning it on.
- Run it on a frequent basis. The sooner you catch the problems that may occur, the easier it will be to fix them.
- Keep it well documented, indicating what part is related to what code section.
- Integrating new 3rd party? Copy his ProGuard configuration to our project.
- Do not wait for the day of release to run it. I assure you it will not work. I assure you will spend the night in office trying to fix it :)
- Having the code compiled doesn’t mean it worked. In order to make sure everything works do some smoke tests as well. Usually the ProGuard will break the run-time and not the compile-time.